The VISION of George Whitefield College is that Africa be filled with preachers and teachers who deeply love the Lord Jesus and who have a profound understanding of Scripture, in order that Africa may increase its share in the Kingdom of God.
George Whitefield College aims to play its part in fulfilling the terms of Christ’s “Great Commission” (to disciple the nations and teach them everything that Christ enjoined upon his apostles)
- educating people in the principles of Christian knowledge,
- the knowledge of God and related fields of knowledge,
- and by training people for Christian life and ministry (with emphasis on the teaching and communication of the Word of God)
and specifically by:
- Educating and training ordinands for the ministry of the Church of England in Southern Africa (South Africa, Namibia, Zimbabwe and Malawi)
- Offering English-medium education and training in Christian knowledge and communication to men and women irrespective of denominational affiliation and regardless of nationality, race or gender, with a view to preparing them for Christian life and various ministries of the Word of God (currently: preaching and pastoral leadership, evangelism, mission, children’s ministry, youth ministry)
with emphasis on (without compromising the generality of its world-wide horizon):
- Training of evangelists, pastor-teachers, missionaries and children’s and youth ministers for deployment in Southern Africa.
- Post-graduate training in the knowledge and skills of Bible interpretation and exposition of potential church leaders for the continent of Africa.
GWC is a community of disciples of Jesus.
We can no longer follow our master on the road as his first disciples did, but we have his teachings and his life story and we see ourselves as “apprentices” serving him as we are able now, and equipping ourselves to serve him better in the future.
GWC is about ministry and mission.
We believe that theology is about Christian living, worship, ministry and mission. So there is a buzz about ministry, mission, evangelism and church planting.
GWC seeks to unite academic learning with practical ministry.
All our students are engaged in ministry in churches and Christian agencies while they are at the college.
GWC is big on Biblical Theology.
We want to understand the Bible as Jesus does. We believe the Old and New Testaments are one developing revelation of God to humankind. We want to grasp the big picture – to see how Old and New fit together. [For more on Biblical Theology, click here.]